using the five elements to balance your life Feng Shui combines science with good design and common sense. Feng Shui does not include superstition or mysticism. It is not part of any religion. The Five Elements: Water, Earth, Fire, Metal, and Wood. Balance your home or office through a traditional Feng Shui reading.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Reboot Day

I try to stay pretty organized. Clutter is really bad for Feng Shui. A large amount of clutter saps your energy, reduces your productivity and causes frustration. That being said, in a household of 6 people, four of which have a very hard time cleaning up, keeping things in their place can be a challenge. So I have come up with a new idea...."Reboot Day". This last weekend I used one day to "reboot" the house. Here's what a reboot entails.

Take a look at this closet. It isn't that messy but things have definitely become undone. Stacks of sheet are always a conundrum for me. No matter how many times I watch Martha Stewart fold a fitted sheet I just can't get it to be the same shape as the flat sheet. That makes for messy stacks.

Also, the box of medicine is overflowing, the cleaners and the soaps have gotten mixed together and things are hard to find. This closet is the organization center for the second floor. Not only does it hold all of the sheets, it contains the towels, cleaners, soap, lotion, my husbands office supplies (his home office is upstairs) as well as play make-up that I don't want readily available for my daughters. So I figured if I just organize this one area the rest of the up-stairs would follow.


I saw this ribbon idea someplace, I can't remember where. Put your sheet sets together and then tie them together like a present. This make it so easy to find the set and, best of all, it makes the sets stack perfectly. The ribbons pull everything together and make anyone look like a perfect folder.
Also, that organization guy, Peter Walsh, always says to put like things together. It definitely make it easy to find things as well as looking better. I went through the medicine box and other containers to throw away any expired items. This cleared out alot of space.

Now, after reorganizing the closet I was able to fit more things in here and the rest of the upper level fell in place. I forgot to mention one of my tricks. I always have a bag that is on its way to Goodwill. That way anytime I see a toy or piece of clothing that is not useful for us anymore I know exactly where to put it. That bags was helpful with this closet. Towels and sheet that I didn't need anymore went right away. When the bag is full, put it in the car, like you would put garbage out when it is full, that way you can drop it off next time you are out. I love Goodwill because they have a drivethru drop off, they make it so easy.

I was done with this within a few hours an was able to tackle the basement/family room closet which houses coats, boots, games, clothes and craft items.

How is this different than Spring/Fall cleaning? Well, I'm not really cleaning and changing out the season. I am just quickly reorganizing so that things run smoothly in the house.

No comments: